Putting a toddler in pre-school is more unnerving for the parents than for the kids. The child, who has been brought up in a protected environment so far, is going to face the unknown world. Parents become apprehensive about each and every detail of the child. They worry about their safety, behaviour, food, and everything else that can be worried about. It is really important for the parents to be in control of the situation, otherwise they will end up intimidating the child.
Given below are some tips that can help the parents in preparing for the first week at preschool:
* Don’t rush: It’s best to let the child sleep early the previous night so that he can wake up on time. Do not rush him. Just chill, relax and take deep breaths while trying to get the child ready. You really do not want to see him throw tantrums, which are too difficult to control.
* Arrive a little early: It would be a good idea to bring your child early to the school. That way, the child will have some time to get adjusted to the new environment. He might also end up making some new friends.
* Send his favourite toy: Usually kids are attached to some of their toys, which help in comforting them. So, send his favourite toy with him so that he can cling on to it, if he feels insecure or scared in the new settings. Once things are settled, he will let go of the toy by himself.
* Try to look happy and cheerful: Sometimes, emotions are contagious and kids grasp these emotions from their parents quickly. Try to exude confidence and happiness, so that the child also feels happy and confident.
* Give him some space: For the initial few days, it would be good to hang around in the pre-school, so that the child feels secure. But, try to give him some space so that he gets a chance to mingle with other kids and the teacher, and develops a comfort zone.
* Exit, without much ado: Do not prolong your good-byes. Better to keep them short, otherwise the child will start getting emotional. Also, do not sneak away from the child when he is looking elsewhere. Develop trust in the child.
While some kids take very little time to adjust to the new surroundings, a lot of kids do take a longer time. But, this should not make you worried. A good preschool in Singapore will put your child at ease very soon.